Sunday, March 8, 2009

There Are Places I Remember

Note: depressing post.

Since Liam has been born we have lost a tremendous amount of close friends and relatives. My mom lost her only sister in August 2007, her brother in November 2007 and my Dad lost his only brother in January 2008. It's been very hard just looking at my address book because there are so many people who are in it who aren't here anymore. And all of these people, my aunt and uncles and many other friends and relatives, are some of the most honorable, saintly people I have ever known. In early February my godmother lost her husband to cancer. Now, just a month later, we learned my godmother herself has died. She died on Friday, getting ready to go to the wake of another close family friend. She, like many others we have lost, was only 70, and in seemingly good health. And her poor sons, still mourning the loss of their father, now have to deal with the loss of their mother too. I am so sad to lose all these wonderful people, especially because I want my kids to know them. They are the very type of people I want my kids to aspire to be. And I know they are in a better place, fighting the good fight, and still here with us as well, but it pains me to know that I won't have them physically here, and that my kids won't know or remember them. I was crying for a minute in the kitchen tonight, and Brendan came over and gestured to the counter. After a few seconds Eric figured out he wanted a piece of kleenex. He gave it to Brendan, and Brendan walked over and gave it to me with a big smile. He then proceeded to give me three more pieces. Life does go on.

Here are some pics from our UIUC trip:
















3 comments:

Rae said...

Donna - So sorry to hear about your Godmother. I know how important your Godparents were to you. You've got some wonderful sons. Love, Rae

Donna said...

Thank you, Ramie! I'm really sad about my godmother. I wish I could have another 15 or 20 years with her. Alas.
We need some updates on Rae's Days, don'tcha think?

3 carltons and 2 kellies said...

What a sweetie pie (Brendan)!!! You have a great attitude and faith that they are on their way to heaven!!! Remember, Donna, YOU knew these people and they've influenced you. Your children will still know them (in a way) because they helped you to become who you are! Hugs to you, from us!!!