Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Preschool

On Thursday we will be visiting a Montessori preschool for Liam. We're thinking he'll start this Fall, and whoa, how is he old enough to go to preschool? I HATE this time warping thing. But I think he's totally going to love it and I'm very excited for him. Me, I'm sad for. Anyway it's only 3 days a week for less than 3 hours, so I think I should be ok. The tuition though, wow. It makes Catholic grammar school look a lot less expensive, I'll say that much. 'Cause for less than 9 hours a week we'll be paying the same as fulltime grade school.
In other good news Liam and Brendan are really starting to play together, and it is so awesome to watch. Of course Liam is still there keeping Brando in line, but he's sending him to the naughty corner a lot less, so that's progress. I might have already mentioned this but Brendan sent himself there a couple weeks ago, and he was right to do so. Oh, and this being able to go outside thing is SO AWESOME!

4 comments:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Where is the school? My kids can never go to Montessori school because I understand it involves having a fish tank, and neither Stephen nor I can handle having any form of fish in our actual home. Yes, that is the entire reason why.

Going outside is awesome, I bet this is the key to Brendan's sleep!

Donna said...

Ha - that is funny about the fish tank. When we went to the classroom the FIRST thing Liam did was go over to the little fish tank, look in and say, "Oh! They have a Japanese Fighting Fish!" That was his favorite thing about the classroom. The school is in A.H., but there are a couple other Montessori schools around here we might check out too, although their tuitions are so high as to really be cost prohibitive. I liked the school, the teacher seemed really good, Liam seemed to like it, I love the Montessori philosophy, but the one part I didn't like was that one of the kids was cleaning the tables and he had a spray bottle of bleach water and Liam went over to him to say, "Oh, that's a lot of water you are spraying" (which is huge because he's not big on talking to strangers) and the kid sort of sprayed bleach water in Liam's general direction, and though it didn't hit him it bothered me. I don't even like that they are using bleach water. I would have to find an alternative solution that is less deadly for people and the planet.

diedendidit said...

The bleach water scenario is a little worrisome - how small of a child was using that quasi-weapon? BTW, a former co-worker's son went to that Montessori and they loved it. If you want to chat with her about it, I think I still have her email.

Donna said...

Kathy said bleach water is ok, so I won't rule it out because of that. The kid could have been anywhere between 3 and 6. I used to be a real pacifist, but now that I have kids I feel venom oozing through my veins when anyone so much as looks at my kids wrong. So watch out, little 3 - 6 year old bleach spraying boy! Thanks for the info on the coworker. I will have to hit you up for those digits.