Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Ellenisms

We had two weekends of weddings in a row, which meant two Ellen flower girl experiences. That was pretty awesome. Ellen is so sweet and soft. She got a new level of smart recently, and I am afraid I never did take enough movies of her being a baby and all the cute baby stuff. So before I forget I have to record some of what she still says. Things like,
" You've got that, same as I have." 
"wiff" = with
"Well actually", to punctuate many parts of her stories
This morning I said, "Bye Ellen, I love you so much" and she said, "I love you so much also, Donna."
She loves to break out the Donna every so often. I haven't had time to figure out every nook and cranny of her personality, like I did with the older boys. And I forget what is age appropriate. Sometimes she seems so incredibly young, but maybe that's because she is. I don't know. I think you'd have to have like 10 or 15 kids before you could really be able to take it all in stride and really "get" it. No two kids are the same, which is obvious and yet it still amazes me how different they can be.

I really liked Robin Sloan's book Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, and now I am reading his new book Sourdough. And I'm reading it really slowly, for two reasons. One is that in the middle of last year I went from having some consistently amazing eyesight for all of my life, save a random pair of glasses here and there like during grad school, to one day waking up to blurriness and no longer being able to read print without tromboning. I of course suspected the worst, but I went to the eye doctor and he proclaimed it, "middle age." Ouch. So poof, just like that I have cheaters everywhere and feel vulnerable and lost without my super vision powers. And it has slowed my reading, which previously was really speedy, but maybe not as speedy as Brendan who can inhale a full-length adult size chapter book in about an hour and change. Liam too is a speed reader. I am a formerly was. :/
The other reason I'm reading it slowly is that I was really liking the book, and it's a very meandering book so you can read it slowly to savor it and that's fine. But then I ready some other books in between and I waited too long to go back to it and it had to be returned the library and when I started reading it again a little of the magic was gone. Or maybe that's just a weakness of the author and his ability to do endings, because I think Penumbra was like that as well. I checked it out again at the library but I couldn't get the regular type and so the fates gifted me with the only available copy - large type. I'm also just starting Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue. Good so far but I'm only on Chapter 3. Hey, what podcasts do you listen to?

No comments: