Monday, February 16, 2009

Odds and Ends





A family friend told me when I was pregnant with Brendan that having two kids is not double the work, it's triple (thanks for the timely advice - haha) Anyway the point was that you'll get the coat on one kid, go to get the coat on the other and in the meantime the first kid has taken the coat off and spilled orange juice all over himself. So True!!! Fortunately I have to admit that Liam and Brendan are so sweet and really try so hard to be good, that it pretty much couldn't be any better than it is for me (ok, well Brendan could sleep, but fortunately I know from Liam that sleeping issues do someday get resolved. The things I hear about when kids are jealous of each other or violent toward each other or just mean, that would be hard to deal with.) Anyway, two kids is a lot of work. (9 kids? Wow, I do think EVERY day "how could my mom have done that!?!? Double WoW!)

Anyway, I won't lie to you - multiple kids is hard work. But it really does get easier as they get older and play together more, etc. etc. However, getting sick is waaaaayyyyy hard. Liam picked up a cold last weekend and has a double ear infection and Brendan got the cold a couple days ago. As far as the cuteness factor of two kids with colds, that is pretty high. Somehow when they are your own kids with stuffy/runny noses, little kid sneezes and Ferris Bueller smiles there is nothing cuter in the world. (When it's another kid I sort of feel horrified and revolted :o) ) Kissing their puffy wet cloud faces is blissful, in spite of the germs. Even waking up with them in the middle of the night to comfort them makes you feel good (especially when Eric wakes up with them most of the time :o) .) But when it's a GI bug, that is a level of Hell straight out of Dante's Inferno. I am not kidding. That is the WORST of the WORST that we have experienced yet. That is when you seriously think there is NO WAY I could do this if I had even one more kid. So I am trying to stay sort of positive with this cold (which by the way when we asked the doctor if Liam's 3 colds this season PLUS the GI bug was bad, she said ACTUALLY 7 to 8 colds a season is the norm for little kids. Ahhh!!!)



Anyway it's going to be a loooong week. I work tomorrow night, I work Thursday day I have to lead my class on Thursday night, which is a ton of work but I am the first to do it so I am looking forward to having it out of the way so I can concentrate on my lit review, I work Saturday and Sunday, I lead the book club Monday night (and I still have a couple hundred pages to go on the book, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It's a great book and I wish I had more time to digest it) and then I work Tuesday night and then I'm back to my regular schedule for a while. Of course I think that's when Eric goes on call, but... I just reeeeeaaaaallllly hope I don't get this cold. That would be the kicker.


Here's Liam making a face like an ewe from his magazine:

2 comments:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

The thought of our whole family having a GI bug at the same time, like your family did, is even more frightening to me than the thought of having another newborn like Gracie.

for real.

3 carltons and 2 kellies said...

SEVEN to EIGHT colds per season is the NORM!!!!!!!?????? Oh man, good thing I've ordered a lifetime supply of hand sanitizer. Oh yeah, and that plastic bubble is sure to come in handy...